DJBB Loopmaker (Max for Live device)
DJ Baja Blast
A Max for Live utility to help with de-clicking, looping, and one-click exporting to an output folder.
I chop a lot of homemade noodling sessions / vinyl record rips into loops, but I couldn't find a way to do this workflow in Ableton in a non-annoying way:
- Chop a perfect loop from a piece of audio
- Apply small fade to beginning and end to avoid clicks (would require resampling)
- Optionally adjust playback speed of sample (again, resampling required)
- One-click export to pre-determined output folder for further sorting / upload
- Retain the original filename somewhere in the new one (I often put BPM, Key info there and don't want to re-type it).
How you might use it
With this device, my workflow looks like this:
- Drag in folder of samples to process.
- Set output folder.
- Find fun loops in samples, clicking the record button to capture.
- click "Export" whenever you hear something fun in the output buffer.
- Check out your output folder to find your new perfectly looped goodies.
- Variable speed playback - easily slow down / speed up looped selection, then export.
- One click loop export. No file overwriting (so click away).
- Fade time can be applied to reduce clicking
- Keyboard shortcuts to navigate (click (?) icon in top left of device)
- Ability to normalize input and output samples.
- WAV files only for now
- Can't drag folders directly from Ableton - must be from finder / explorer
- ??? probably others.. lemme know
If there is interest, I may develop a version with more features.
!! Requires Max for Live license !! (You already have it if you own Ableton Suite)
NOTE: I have not tested on Windows.. let me know if you have any issues.